A brief overview of the history of the
Oxford Church of the Nazarene
In 1901, Mr. L.J. King a converted Roman Catholic priest, held revival meetings in Springhill and Oxford, Nova Scotia. As a result of these meetings, Dr. Hiram F. Reynolds was invited to organize these groups into churches of the Pentecostal Association of America. In October, 1902, the Springhill "Wesley Pentecostal Church" and the following month the "Second Pentecostal Church" in Oxford was duly organized. Dr. Reynolds stayed with the Oxford work until its first pastor, Rev. George Noble of Haverhill, Massachusetts, arrived in late 1902.
The yellowing pages of the Oxford Journal for May 9th, 1908, record the following interesting facts concerning the Oxford Church. "In the month of April, 1903, at the annual meeting of the Association of Pentecostal Churches of America, held in Brooklyn, New York, this church was voted into the association... and is known as the Second Pentecostal Church of Nova Scotia. It has been said that the church building in Oxford stands today not only as the oldest church of the Nazarene in continuous use by one congregation, but probably also the oldest structure occupied by any church in the denomination. "The building was erected in 1876."
(Luke 14:17) Unfortunately this was the only assembly held, as the area was shortly merged with the New England District. Nethertheless, a desire for a separate district remained through the years, until in 1943 the Maritime delegation to the New England District Assembly was instructed to petition for a Maritime District to be set apart. The Petition granted, the Board of General Superintendents appointed Rev. W.W. Tink (photo) as the District Superintendent. With 9 congregations and 247 members, the Maritime District was declared a functioning body at O'Leary, Prince Edward Island, on July 8th, 1943.